Email Contact

.

Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Influence of Leadership

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!





I figured it would take a couple years to make us relevant again, but the future is here, baby!!!  And, no, this doesn't necessarily mean I think we are gonna beat Sparty this weekend (more on that later), but it does go to show you how much leadership matters.

Image result for spelling bee
"Dantonio... definition?"
Let's start with Sparty, shall we?  For years, good, if not sometimes great talent on teams that always flirted with the next step.  Plenty of NFL caliber dudes went through there before Dantonio got there (is that spelled right, buddy?).  But not until he got there and instilled a certain ethic did Sparty become a national power.

Not trying to be all high and mighty here, but a lot of people out here are surprised at the number of connections my friends and I know that can "get things."  We know people who know people who rob people work in really high positions that carry influence.  And, much like the faster-than-anticipated apparent Michigan resurgence, its not a coincidence.  My friends and I have been encouraged and trained to be leaders from the jump.  Captains of sports teams, challenged in the classroom, given leadership training in college, etc.
Image result for morgan freeman shawshank quotes
Knows how to get things

Most importantly, we were challenged by leaders to excel.  Parents, coaches, teachers, peers, bosses, etc.  Influenced by those around us to be better.  Given the tools and skills to be better.  We have networks who have pretty damn awesome connects.  Hell, I just got a referral for charter fishing on the Gulf Coast of Alabama with a quick text to a cousin.  That may seem pretty random, but I can assure you, it happens all the time in our world.  The presence of great coaches is in large part what has made and continues to make us all great.  Like I often say here, we are damn lucky to have those coaches, too.  I wouldn't have a job if we all had them.  Undoubtedly, there is now way we are where we are in life without those "coaches."

The influence of coaching now has my beloved Wolverines back on the map and me needing medical attention after 4 hours.  (I LOVE YOU, T**E!!!)  Hate the media hype all you want (it is really annoying, and I'm a Michigan fan...), but if Harbaugh hadn't showed up in Ann Arbor this year and Dantonio hadn't come to State when he did, I am definitely not writing about Michigan v. Michigan State this weekend, probably wouldn't have brought the blog back.  Can't deny that.

Game time.  I told the wife Sunday, if we are opening line favorite, I think we could win.  Her response, "no way in hell are we favored."  I thought the line should be Sparty by 2 or 3.  They are deeper, more experienced, more talented, and I think in this game, are highly motivated to prove they are worthy of their ranking, the Purdue/Rutgers games were them being bored, and want to shut up the media hype around Michigan.

So what did the line open at?  MICHIGAN BY 7.5?!?!?!  What???  My bestest Sparty friend was "happy" about this because of the underdog thing, which I get, but that's a mighty big number.  It was bet up to 8 for a few days, and settled back at 7.5 as of today.  Informal polling of my friends think this should be Michigan by 3, though I'm holding with my personal opinion of a Pick or MSU by 1 or 2.  I still think MSU wins this... they are more talented, equally coached, deeper, and used to pressure situations.  The X factors for Michigan, to me are Harbaugh (52 more minutes and I have to seek medical attention) and the fact they have absolutely nothing to lose here.  The pressure is all on Sparty.  I'm revising my 7-5 prediction for Michigan up to 8-4 (with a very good shot at 9-3), but I think we are a year away (probably 2 to beat MSU since its on the road next year).

The Pick - Michigan State 24, Michigan 23.

Side note - What the hell, Army?  Can't we beat anyone?  And isn't that really talented Navy QB ever going to graduate?  I didn't think you could be a 6th year senior at Navy.  Guess we'll just have to drink more after the game.  I'm also going to be plying Mojo with copious amounts of coffee because there is an epic UFC card that night after the game.

I love you all.  Speaking of Major Mojo, he will be gracing us with a post about running marathons in the near future.  I am hard at work on haven't started my North Korea post, but will start it soon, I promise!  Contact Logical Betting at logicalbetting@gmail.com and twitter.com/logicalbetting.  Be well, and Go Blue.  Hasta.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the unique opportunity to have dinner with a former player of Harbaugh for two years at San Francisco. He said that he always told the players, "go as hard as you can, as fast as you can, as long as you can… And don't worry "he said this was very liberating as a player because many coaches just don't accept mistakes or they say they do and then get pissed off at you or penalize you. He says that is why Harbaugh get so pissed on the sidelines because the rough making the wrong call when his guys giving 100% is screwing up his game plan. This guy is also a NFL commentator now who says that nobody manages the game better than Harbaugh. He said of all the coaches he's played for nobody has respected hard work and demanded hard work and permitted any outcome after the hard work than Harbaugh. Not to get your hopes up but he also thinks that Harbaugh's done with the NFL and suspect that he wants to settle down with his family in Ann Arbor for probably 10 years or so. :-)

Post a Comment